Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ravelympics

I just recently learned about Ravelry, and I have to admit that I am completely hooked on it now. I wish quilters had something like this. Sure, we have a lot of different forums that we can join, but we really don't have a single website that allows us to post pictures of all of our work in one place. I wish I was better at web design, because I would love to create something like that just for quilters.

Anyway, Ravelry is sponsoring the Ravelympics this month. For the duration of the Winter Olympic Games, we can challenge ourselves to start and finish projects, just for the fun of it. I'm working on several projects for this, including three WIPs (works in progress). The WIPs have their own category, separate from the all of the new projects started during the Games.

Unfortunately, I don't get to count the mystery shawl I started late last month, despite the fact that I had to rip out all of my work and start over AGAIN today. From now on, I am not going to knit lace while the rest of my family is running in and out of my room. The interruptions are making my knitting life difficult, to say the least.

I love my family, despite the interruptions, but I really do want to get this shawl finished someday.

Last night, I learned that I can work on my favorite crocheted afghan pattern with my eyes closed. I was very tired, but I wanted to get something accomplished, even if it was just a few clusters on that afghan. This particular pattern is the first one I used for a large afghan, and I've made four afghans out of it so far. The one I'm working on will be my fifth one, as well as the largest afghan I've ever made. I can't wait to finish it.

I'm about to splurge on some beautiful pink lace yarn for a beaded shawl. The person who dyed the yarn is raising funds for her Susan G. Komen 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk, and since breast cancer claimed Mom's life, I want to help this woman reach her goals. Besides, Mom loved pastel pink, and she would have adored this ultra-feminine shawl.

My husband is surprised that I haven't been buying a lot of quilting fabric lately. It's hard to justify spending money on fabric when I'm spending so much on yarn. I need to get some projects finished, so I don't feel so guilty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment